Manage your depressed mood with this effective Cloud Clinic App developed by an Australian Clinical Psychologist and a Consultant Psychiatrist with more than 40 years of combined clinical experience.
Cloud Clinic is a confidential, easy to use, and well-validated program that will help you to improve mood and happiness.
This mobile CBT treatment program will coach you to better manage your moods by guiding you through internationally recognised CBT treatment strategies including activity scheduling, thought challenging and mood monitoring.
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) has been identified as the Gold Standard psychological therapy approach to managing depressed mood and anxiety in adults and youth.
Using the Cloud Clinic CBT app will:
- Help you to regularly engage in activities to immediately boost your mood
- Assist in recognizing and challenging negative thoughts that are impacting on the development and maintenance of depressed mood
- Monitor your feelings and moods throughout treatment (and beyond) to assist in the recognition of contributory factors to low mood and to objectively assess progress with treatment and mood improvement.
- Empower you to be in better control of your progress and to feel confident in implementing strategies to improve your mood
Cloud Clinic has been designed with the user in mind. Additional features include:
- Password Protection
- iPhone and iPad Calendar Syncing for Activity Scheduling
- List of possible activities to schedule as well as ability to add your own
- Step by Step Thought Challenging Guide with flexibility in number of ratings of emotions experienced and identification of thinking errors
- Comprehensive Mood Monitor that can collect multiple data including mood rating, sleep quality, exercise, medication adherence and mapping of menstrual cycle. Medication and menstrual cycle can also be defaulted off when not relevant for the user. Additional notes regarding mood can be noted in the mood monitor.
- Graphically display your mood over the week/month. This graph illustrates mood, sleep quality, exercise and medication adherence. It can also depict menstrual cycle when selected.
- Email your mood monitor summary to your doctor or practitioner as well as summaries of your activity scheduling and thought challenging.
Cloud Clinic does not require network connection once downloaded. It can also be downloaded onto all of your iOS devices
Numerous scientific studies have found that CBT is more effective than antidepressant medication for mild depression. CBT and antidepressant medication are equally effective in treating moderate depression. There is also a benefit in adding CBT to the use of antidepressant medication in those suffering from severe depression.
Note: While Cloud Clinic is an effective program for depressed mood, we recommend that you use it in adjunct to treatment from a health professional. This is not a stand-alone treatment program for individuals with moderate to severe levels of depressed mood. This app aims to assist users to implement CBT strategies in between sessions with their therapist and/or doctor.
It is not the situation that causes us to feel the way we do. Rather, it is the way in which we interpret and think about the situation that influences our emotions and behavioural responses.
Challenging the way that you think about a situation in a realistic and positive way will help you to feel more positive and to cope with the situation.
Thought challenging is about developing a rational and positive perspective of a situation that will assist you in reducing your experience of negative moods.
We can often not change what has happened in a situation but do have some control with the way in which we think about it.
The lethargy circuit theory of depressed mood clearly states that depressed mood often results in reduced motivation and desire to engage in previously enjoyed activities.
The concern is that engaging in less activities also then reinforces and worsens your mood.
Scheduling regular activities into your diary and forcing yourself to do the things that you don’t feel like doing, has been shown to have significant positive impacts on mood.
Being aware of your moods and the factors which may affect them is important in better managing depressed mood. Mood monitoring can also be helpful in reducing a sense of helplessness by graphing progress over a period of weeks and months. This is a more objective measure of actual progress that accepts mood fluctuations occur.
Useful International Links to Sites and Resources
- Beyond Blue : Australian site for the community in proving information to individuals experiencing depressed mood.
- Black Dog Institute: An Australian not for profit organisation that engages in research as well as provides assessment and treatment services for adults experiencing depressed mood and bipolar disorder.
- National Institute of Mental Health: the largest scientific organisation in the World researching mental health including depression.
- American Psychological Association: American Psychological Association
- Australian Psychological Association: Australian Psychological Association
- Lifeline Australia: Australian service providing telephone crisis support for the community
- Beck Institute: A not for profit organisation developed by Prof Aaron Beck providing research and training Internationally for clinicians using CBT in practice.